Monday, August 25, 2008

Another nanny update? Gesh!

Yes, it's true. We're still playing the nanny game. Today I'm interviewing nannies. I found them all on Sittercity.com and a few of them actually called me to get interviews which at first seemed weird, but then I found it to be very convenient. And they are persistent which I like.

The first candidate is Gosia. She's Polish, 40 years old, very nice. And she was on time. She doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs. She can't swim -- which makes me nervous near the lake... but Ada seemed okay with her, she's done this before a few times and asked really good questions about paid holidays, sick days, and if this is a permanent gig or not. So that's all good. And she can start Wednesday as a trial day and then next week for sure. She's the front runner but I've got two more to go.

Unfortunately for her, she arrived while I was on the phone with my friend Anne. My neighbor Kelly was chatting with me in the hallway as she let Gosia in. And my house was, and is currently, a mess as I had high expectations of mopping the floors and getting the ironing done this morning. Which I actually did do, but I hadn't had a chance to put the table and chairs back where they go so I was doing that during the first few minutes of our interview. Oh, and my bras are in the wash so that made things awkward. For me anyway...

My second interview is late. It's 12:07 and she was scheduled for 12... hmmmm... not a good sign but parking around here is tough during the day and I understand that. But still. I think I told most of them that and so... things aren't looking good.

On top of all of my other morning chaos, I went to print out this list of questions I have for the interviewees, and the printer won't work. So, that stinks and made me frustrated until I realized I could just read the questions off the laptop and save the world one printed sheet at a time.

Still waiting... maybe she doesn't know our last name so she isn't sure which buzzer to push? I checked out the front door and didn't see anyone... hmmm...

okay so now it is 2:20. The second nanny never showed. And the 3rd nanny just called to cancel and said she has accepted another job. Oh, and the 4th nanny, who started all of this by calling me first to get an interview, called on Saturday to cancel since she got another job. 1 out of 4 isn't bad right? At least the nanny I did interview is good. I've called to offer her a job for Wednesday as a trial day and if she likes us, we can talk Wednesday night about the full time gig.

And on top of everything else, Ada took a crap nap for 1/2 an hour, if even, this afternoon and is teething. Oh yeah, Motrin is my new best friend of the day, and rum for the baby and a martini for me are in a close second place. At least my afternoon is now free and open to run some errands.

I'm sure this won't be the end of the child care saga. I'll update more as I go.

I think pharmaceutical companies who make birth control should print this in their ads to get more business. That's my next moneymaking scam.

Moral of the story: It's tough finding someone you trust to watch your child, but there are many different ways to do so. Just do your best to find one you are comfortable with.

No comments: