Friday, January 15, 2010

Prenatal Yoga

This past Monday I started doing prenatal yoga with a group of moms who happen to mostly be due around the same time as me, or within about a month. I've found it to be quite a challenge to sign up for a prenatal yoga class in the city that meets at a time that works with my schedule and is easy to get to. The one I finally found happens to meet at an infertility center. It shouldn't have been a surprise to learn that out of the nine pregnant women in the room, four were having twins. Yes. That means 13 babies for 9 mommies. And one of the women is due a day after me. And two moms having twins are best friends and due within a week of each other. Bizarre, I know.

So now I'm a little sore, and a bit more relaxed, and excited to go back since it is a good group of moms and I really enjoy the instructor. I just hope that this time, when I come home all relaxed and rejuvenated from a nice yoga session, we don't have to go to the ER to get anything removed from Ada's nose.

Moral of the story: Yoga when pregnant is good for the mind, body, and soul, not to mention the calming effect it has on stress levels and there is that tiny benefit of focused breathing practice which comes in handy during labor. All around, good stuff. (Did I mention we get a cookie at the end of class?)

No comments: