Friday, March 26, 2010

The Uncomfortable Phase

There are several phases of pregnancy. I have just entered that which I like to call the Uncomfortable Phase. My belly is significant. My body is stretching and sore. I'm not sleeping very well so I'm tired. My diet is super sensitive and still causes a good deal of heartburn when I eat poorly. I barely fit in a plane seat (and I'm not even big! What about big people? How do they do it?). Crossing my legs causes all sorts of trouble. My legs fall asleep when I sit for too long. Bending forward tends to make the belly mad. And I can't stay out late--not that I really ever could. My bladder has shrunk to nothing, and I tend to leak when I sneeze or cough. Ug.

Then there is the whole issue of the baby kicking me. A friend said it is like having a bag of microwave popcorn in your stomach for a few months. I agree. He is SO active. With Ada, it was so new and exciting, and I didn't notice the movements as much or until later on in the pregnancy. Now it is much more noticeable and annoying when I'm trying to get some sleep. I think first pregnancies are all so new and exciting and unknown that they are less annoying. I feel bad saying that this pregnancy is annoying, but it kind of is. It just isn't as easy. And I'm impatient and just want to fast forward to the whole part where I have the baby and we live happily ever after.

I will say that, today, holding my friend Alison's newborn daughter Ella, I was again reminded of why I've chosen to have a second child and go through this Uncomfortable Phase. I'm doing it for that little noise a baby makes when they sleep. That "ahhh, ahhh, ahhh" breathing noise. I vowed today that I will record it and save it forever and always. It is the most beautiful sound in the world to me. So calming and reassuring. Seeing her baby puts things in perspective. And it was nice to see Ada sitting there with baby Ella in the Boppy on her lap. Ada was good about being gentle with her and she pointed out Ella's eyes, ears and nose. She messed up her hair and touched her feet, but all in a loving and tender way. I think most parents fear their kids will reject the new baby and get violent so it was nice to see that Ada's first reaction to Ella was positive.

Moral of the story: It is hard work being pregnant. Find something positive to focus on to make it all worthwhile. I suggest that little "ahhh" noise a baby makes, and the peaceful faces they make when they sleep. That does it for me.

No comments: