Thursday, July 8, 2010

Newborn Public Transit

After listening to a thumping noise in our car for a few months, and a previous attempt to get it fixed failed, our car is in the shop. Something about bearings and an axle needing some love. Had the first dealership fixed it when we told them to, it would have been a lot cheaper, but they didn't. Unfortunately, this new dealership fixed it, but they broke the anti-lock break sensor in the process and now we are without a car for another day.

Normally, that wouldn't be much of an issue. And it really isn't an issue since we don't have anywhere critical we need to be. Unfortunately, Rick expected to pick up the car tonight and be able to transport Iain and I to his softball game so we could be the coolest spectators on the field. He left his gear here assuming he'd be able to get it when he got us. Now, he's stuck on a conference call and I'm charged with putting the baby in a sling and ridding the El downtown, with baby gear and Rick's softball gear in tow. Which immediately prompts several questions?

Bus, Train, or Taxi. Bus will take longer. Taxi might not pick us up and I'd have to take the car seat and I don't really know what the rules are for having a baby in a taxi but I've never put Ada in one and I'm not excited about trying it with a two-week-old. Train it is.

Sling or Stroller? Stroller would be better for my back, but if the elevators at the train station are out of order, that leaves me folding up and carrying a 22+ lb stroller up two-plus flights of stairs during rush hour. Not going to happen. Sling it is.

Change Clothes and Apply Minimal Makeup or Go As Is? It's hot. I'm stinky. But I only have 3 outfits that fit, two are dirty, and I'm wearing the third. Changing isn't really an option. Makeup, on the other hand, can be quickly applied as long as the baby gives me five more minutes of sleep.

Wish me luck. Surely this will be an adventure that becomes much more than just a few questions regarding logistics.

Moral of the story: Just getting out of the house with a newborn is a BIG task and equally big accomplishment.

No comments: