Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Couch Vs. Bed

Amanda: Iain, your nap wasn't very long. We should go take a nap together since you got me up too much last night, and way too early this morning. Where should we take a nap? Mommy and Daddy's big bed, or the couch?

Iain: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. (He fell asleep while nursing.)

Amanda: Well, you threw up on the bed this morning and I haven't had a chance to change the sheets. Plus, your sister left crumbs on the bed from her muffin, and the clothes we were wearing when you threw up on me are in the laundry machine in the closet so, it's kind of loud in my room right now. Probably not the best option.

Iain: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Amanda: But the couch isn't much better since the cover is still off the main cushion from when your sister's diaper leaked last night and your dad had to wash it. And all of the blankets are on your Pack 'n Play to insulate you from the cold weather. And there are three extra pillows on the couch that your dad was using in place of the chaise cushion. We'd have to move those and grab a few blankets.

Iain: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Amanda: The couch it is. Let me just set you down while I move a few things and get comfortable.

Iain: Ah. Ahhhhhhhh. Ahhh-ha. (Translation: I'm up and my diaper is dirty Mom!)

Amanda: Well then, let's change your diaper and get you into an outfit that fits a little better. You've already outgrown this one.

Iain: Ah. Ahhhh. Ah. Ahhhh. (Translation: I'm up. Let's play Mommy!)

Amanda: Seriously? I thought you were still tired? Apparently I thought wrong.

Moral of the story: No matter how many times you beg your baby for a longer nap or a few more hours of sleep at night, they won't understand you. Accept the things you cannot change, and ask someone to watch the baby so you can get some sleep.

No comments: