Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Pee Pee in the Potty

Finally! Ada had an actual pee pee in the potty! First, she peed in the bathtub. Then, I found a wet spot on the bathroom rug where she was drying off. And finally, when I asked her if she wanted to go pee pee in the potty she said yes. So, with Iain on my lap and Ada on her little potty, we heard our first real tinkle noises as she filled the potty. I quickly gave her a high-five, started squealing with joy and beaming with pride, all while I clapped loudly to make a big deal of her success.

Iain, hater of loud noises, quickly broke up the celebration with his fearful screams of terror. He was not a fan of the potty celebration at all.

For the first half-an-hour I was excited to start potty training and got Ada's big girl pants out. She ran around naked for about an hour before she had an accident on the bedroom floor while Iain fought taking a nap. At that point, I counted to ten in my head and gave up. I couldn't do the whole potty training thing and infant fighting naps thing alone.

Unfortunately, Ada hasn't used the potty again since then...and it has been two weeks. Maybe this weekend...or next...

Moral of the story: Potty training is a waiting game. You have to wait until both of you are ready.

No comments: